Definition of hash mark in English:
1A service stripe worn on the left sleeve of an enlisted person’s uniform to indicate three years of service in the army or four years in the navy.
- One of the Honor Guards had 10 'hash marks' on his sleeve.
- Note the belted jacket with shoulder insignia and longevity ‘hash marks’ on the sleeves.
1.1A service stripe on any uniform.
- This man had more stripes and hash marks up and down his sleeves than you can ever imagine.
- Military-like hash marks indicating years of service will be worn on the new long-sleeve shirts in New York City; on short sleeves, a bar over the breast pocket serves the same purpose.
2 Football One of a series of marks made along parallel lines that delineate the middle of the field, used to spot the ball after a play ends outside these lines.
- Against Baltimore, for instance, Wesley intercepted a pass near the sideline after breaking for the ball from the far hash mark.
- Against Denver's cover - 2, the game plan is to let the receivers catch the ball between the hash marks and let the hard-hitting safeties blow them up.
- The majority of his throws have been outside the hash marks.
3The symbol #.
- I was just wondering if there's any possibility to have hylafax send the tone equivalent to pressing the hash mark on a regular phone?
- If you absolutely can't produce a pound sign, it has become conventional in computing circles to use the hash mark instead (hence its other name).
- Shown is a representative egg-laying pattern, with egg-laying events indicated by hash marks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.