1A slotted hinged metal plate that forms part of a fastening for a door or lid and is fitted over a metal loop and secured by a pin or padlock.
- Unfortunately, most sheds are inherently weak and it isn't always appropriate to fit heavy-duty padlocks, hasps, and staples as the door may not be strong enough to support them.
- Doors off to the left and right of us were secured with sturdy padlocks on steel hasps.
- Anyway, this afternoon we spent an inordinately long time fixing a hasp and padlock to the garage.
1.1A slotted hinged metal plate on a trunk or suitcase with a projecting piece that is secured by the lock.
- Smaller trunk locks have a spring-loaded latch, so when the trunk isn't locked the top half stays up out of the way. It has a hasp for a padlock, if you choose to use one.
- On the suitcases, next to the shiny steel hasps, tiny numbers are set on metal wheels.
- With a great flourish and lots of pride in their faces they removed the lock from the hasp and slowly opened the old box.
verb[with object] archaic
Lock (a door, window, or lid) by securing the hasp over the loop of the fastening.
- I hasped the window; I tried to close his eyes - to extinguish, if possible, that frightful, life-like gaze of exultation, before any one else beheld it.
- He then slipped out of the cabin, and hasped the door on the outside, in spite of Clarice's shrill and scathing disapproval.
- There had been no answer to his knock; the door had been hasped on the outside, yet the first glance as he entered. made him realise that the place was empty of life.
Words that rhyme with haspclasp, gasp, grasp, rasp
Definition of hasp in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.