- (In online contexts) used as an acknowledgement that someone has brought a piece of information to the writer’s attention, or provided the inspiration for a piece of writing: hat tip to Chris Johnson, who alerted me to the storyMore example sentences
- No attribution, no thank you, no hat tip, no kiss on the cheek was provided.
- If someone posts a link to an article or news item and you see it and post it on your blog - give them a hat tip.
- The hat tip goes to Susan for letting me know.
late 19th century (originally denoting an act of raising one's hat as a polite greeting or salutation): from the phrase tip one's hat .
More definitions of hat tipDefinition of hat tip in:
- The British & World English dictionary