Definition of hawfinch in English:
A large Old World finch with a massive bill for cracking open cherry stones and other hard seeds.
- Genus Coccothraustes, family Fringillidae: three species, in particular the widespread C. coccothraustes
- Whenever I have been fortunate to watch a party of Breckland hawfinches they were very wary, taking flight at the first alarm and rocketing into the treetops.
- Where I see Hawfinches they become more visible from early afternoon in the tops of trees - often Beech or Hornbeam. Listen out for the loud ticking call.
- Woodland species such as Hawfinch and Crossbill are much easier to locate in the foliage-less trees.
Words that rhyme with hawfinchchaffinch • greenfinch
Definition of hawfinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.