Definition of hawfinch in English:
A large Old World finch with a massive bill for cracking open cherry stones and other hard seeds.
- Genus Coccothraustes, family Fringillidae: three species, in particular the widespread C. coccothraustes
- Whenever I have been fortunate to watch a party of Breckland hawfinches they were very wary, taking flight at the first alarm and rocketing into the treetops.
- Where I see Hawfinches they become more visible from early afternoon in the tops of trees - often Beech or Hornbeam. Listen out for the loud ticking call.
- Woodland species such as Hawfinch and Crossbill are much easier to locate in the foliage-less trees.
Definition of hawfinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan