- A hawklike owl with a small head and long tail, and typically an obscure facial disk.
More example sentences
- Family Strigidae: three genera, including Ninox (several species in Asia and Australasia) and Surnia, in particular the diurnal S. ulula of northern coniferous forests
- It seems odd that the hawk owl should emerge as a vole specialist at all, given the owl's strong physical resemblance to birds that prey on other birds.
- The northern hawk owl, a rare sight in the wild, pinned its yellow eyes on me and let out a sibilant screech that nearly made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
- Some of the most common birds of prey here, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and osprey, are fish-eaters, though the hawk owl is not.
More definitions of hawk owlDefinition of hawk owl in:
- The British & World English dictionary