Definition of hawk owl in English:
A hawklike owl with a small head and long tail, and typically an obscure facial disk.
- Family Strigidae: three genera, including Ninox (several species in Asia and Australasia) and Surnia, in particular the diurnal S. ulula of northern coniferous forests
- It seems odd that the hawk owl should emerge as a vole specialist at all, given the owl's strong physical resemblance to birds that prey on other birds.
- The northern hawk owl, a rare sight in the wild, pinned its yellow eyes on me and let out a sibilant screech that nearly made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
- Some of the most common birds of prey here, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and osprey, are fish-eaters, though the hawk owl is not.
Definition of hawk owl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia