(also hawksbill turtle)
A small tropical sea turtle with hooked jaws and overlapping horny plates on the shell, extensively hunted as the traditional source of tortoiseshell.
- Eretmochelys imbricata, family Cheloniidae
More example sentences
- There are two species of sea turtles that mate and nest in the Gulf: the hawksbill and the green turtle, both endangered species.
- The hawksbill sea turtle population in the Gulf of Thailand is small and in danger of extinction because of illegal fishing and the mammals' limited ability to reproduce.
- Officers at the center said they cultivate 2 types of baby sea turtles; the lays turtle and the hawksbill turtle.
More definitions of hawksbillDefinition of hawksbill in:
- The British & World English dictionary