(also hawksbill turtle)
Definition of hawksbill in English:
A small tropical sea turtle with hooked jaws and overlapping horny plates on the shell, extensively hunted as the traditional source of tortoiseshell.
- Eretmochelys imbricata, family Cheloniidae
- There are two species of sea turtles that mate and nest in the Gulf: the hawksbill and the green turtle, both endangered species.
- The hawksbill sea turtle population in the Gulf of Thailand is small and in danger of extinction because of illegal fishing and the mammals' limited ability to reproduce.
- Officers at the center said they cultivate 2 types of baby sea turtles; the lays turtle and the hawksbill turtle.
Definition of hawksbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia