Definition of hawkweed in English:
A widely distributed plant of the daisy family, typically having small yellow dandelionlike flower heads and often growing as a weed.
- Genus Hieracium, family Compositae
- The ancient Greeks believed that the sap of hawkweeds was responsible for the keen eyesight of hawks.
- He has been studying hawkweed as a candidate for biocontrol.
- In lawns, mowing of hawkweeds is ineffective because the low-lying rosettes are missed by mower blades.
Definition of hawkweed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.