Definition of hazel in English:
1A temperate shrub or small tree with broad leaves, bearing prominent male catkins in spring and round hard-shelled edible nuts in autumn.
- Genus Corylus, family Betulaceae: several species, in particular the common Eurasian hazel (C. avellana), formerly widely managed as coppice
- The marsh gave way gradually to dry land, and the reeds and willows to hazels and elders.
- He could clearly distinguish elders, hazels and sloes.
- The oak tree across the road is practically bare but the beeches and hazels behind it are still fully leafed.
Words that rhyme with hazelappraisal, nasal, phrasal • wych
Definition of hazel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.