(Especially in private schools) the man in charge of a school; the principal.
- I am a private school headmaster, and this has been a problem for a couple of years now.
- To make matters worse, the school belonged to a ghastly, gruesome headmaster named Mr Dowd.
- Eight principals or headmasters were initially contacted.
- Example sentences
- Under the headmasterly rule of His Excellency the Life President Ngwazi Dr Hastings Kamuzu Banda (to give him his official moniker), Malawi was peaceful, tidy, friendly, and decidedly old-fashioned.
- If Guthrie wishes to be seen as having left the world of hemline journalism behind him, now is his heaven-made chance to demonstrate a headmasterly fairness and impartiality - one that is quite clearly beyond Marr and the boys.
- But, even though she was reputed to be somewhat headmasterly over the usage of English, she had a charming and engaging social presence.
Words that rhyme with headmasterblaster, caster, castor, faster, grandmaster, master, pastor, plaster
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of headmaster in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.