nounchiefly North American
- 1The part of a bridle or halter that fits around a horse’s head.More example sentences
- ‘Horses have to be weighed a minimum of 45 minutes before their race with no gear on but for a bridle or headstall,’ Leigh Jordan of Racing Victoria told us.
- Biondello faithfully reports that the chief means of controlling the horse - the headstall, or bridle - having been ‘restrained to keep him from stumbling, hath been often burst and [is] now repaired with knots.’
- If you think about it, the aggression of a young man who hasn't been mellowed by marriage is more familiar to most of us, these days, than the willfulness of a horse without a headstall.
- 2 another term for headpiece ( sense 3).
More definitions of headstallDefinition of headstall in:
- The British & World English dictionary