1 (usually in phrase make headway) Move forward or make progress, especially when circumstances make this slow or difficult: the ship was making very little headway against heavy seas they appear to be making headway in bringing the rebels under control
More example sentences
- Coalition forces are making headway in their battle against oil well fires.
- ‘The good news is we are making headway in many parts of the country,’ he will declare.
- For all its warts, Montreal is making headway in the sustainable architecture crusade.
2The average interval of time between vehicles moving in the same direction on the same route.
- The company also extended the train headway from three to six minutes during this period.
- Instead of speed, other countries should try instead to emulate the Shinkansen's remarkable frequency of train headway.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.