Definition of heartbeat in English:
1.1 (usually heartbeats) A single pulsation of the heart: her heartbeats steadied
More example sentences
- Oh, of course she knew, she could feel them, smell them, hear those steady heartbeats and rushing blood, practically tasting the crimson on her tongue.
- Suddenly, the man drew in a sharp gasp and the heart monitor erupted into a flurry of sound, beeping off the steady, but rapid heartbeats.
- The words made Shipper's cheeks turn pink and he felt his heartbeats quicken again.
1.2An animating or vital unifying force: conflict is the essential heartbeat of fiction
More example sentences
- He may not garner the headlines that some of his teammates accrue, but Lambert is the heartbeat of the robust team which has been transformed into treble winners under O'Neill.
- Flintoff, as Selvey correctly deduces, has become the heartbeat of the team; the carthorse that also provides the gallops.
- For twelve years Keane has been the heartbeat of the United team.
- 1a heartbeat away from
- Very close to; on the verge of: the man who is just a heartbeat away from the presidencyMore example sentences
- He can still flip that switch between tough and sweet whenever he likes, moving in a heartbeat from the charm of a soft-spoken choirboy to a teeth-clenched icy grill that would make you throw your wallet at him in fear.
- Three teenaged boys; one was tightrope-stepping along the balustrade, smoking a cigarette, a heartbeat from the long spill.
- I think because I often felt quite dark and brooding may have had a little to do with it, or possibly because it was only a heartbeat from Christmas, even when days lasted as long as they did.
- 2in a heartbeat
- Instantly; immediately: I’d do it again in a heartbeatMore example sentences
- Drop-dead gorgeous, she has the amazing ability to go from incredibly sweet to incredibly deadly in a heartbeat.
- A tornado could take everything I own in a heartbeat.
- The only reason I even went to work was for money, otherwise I would have quit in a heartbeat.
Words that rhyme with heartbeatbackbeat • deadbeat
Definition of heartbeat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.