verb[with object] (usually be heartened)
Make more cheerful or confident: [with object and infinitive]: she was heartened to observe that the effect was faintly comic (as adjective heartening) this is the most heartening news of all
More example sentences
- For those who think the appreciation of old clocks will decline, Jeff has heartening news.
- I arrive home and am heartened by the sight of my dog sitting patiently in front of the gates awaiting my arrival.
- The only people who want to hear bad news are the people who are heartened by failure.
- More example sentences
- The death toll among American soldiers remains startlingly and hearteningly low, not horribly and frighteningly high.
- After this meeting, there were private discussions with some guesthouse owners and, hearteningly, some non-aligned farmers.
- So go out there, grab life by the collar, or at the very least a copy of this book… it's creative and inspiring and hearteningly original.