Definition of heartsease in English:
A wild European pansy that typically has purple and yellow flowers. It has given rise to the hybrids from which most garden pansies were developed.
- Viola tricolor, family Violaceae
- On the left upright a dove with olive branch, alluding to the Noah story, is enclosed in a trefoil representing the Holy Trinity, and on the right, in a cruciform shape, is a pansy, or heartsease, traditionally the flower of the Trinity.
- You can also add a sprinkle of runner-bean flowers to vegetable soups, or top salads and creamy desserts with pansies and heartsease.
- Two you don't often see on the table are pretty heartsease that will flower from midspring to late autumn, and the blue-flowered borage, easy to grow as well as selfseeding.
Late Middle English: origin uncertain, the term being applied by herbalists to both the pansy and the wallflower in the 16th century.
Words that rhyme with heartseasefasces • calces
Definition of heartsease in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan