A wild European pansy that typically has purple and yellow flowers. It has given rise to the hybrids from which most garden pansies were developed.
- Viola tricolor, family Violaceae
More example sentences
- On the left upright a dove with olive branch, alluding to the Noah story, is enclosed in a trefoil representing the Holy Trinity, and on the right, in a cruciform shape, is a pansy, or heartsease, traditionally the flower of the Trinity.
- You can also add a sprinkle of runner-bean flowers to vegetable soups, or top salads and creamy desserts with pansies and heartsease.
- Two you don't often see on the table are pretty heartsease that will flower from midspring to late autumn, and the blue-flowered borage, easy to grow as well as selfseeding.
late Middle English: origin uncertain, the term being applied by herbalists to both the pansy and the wallflower in the 16th century.
Definition of heartsease in:
- The British & World English dictionary