- The dense inner part of a tree trunk, yielding the hardest timber.More example sentences
- In the inner heartwood, these bodies were rarefying and cell walls became impregnated by a brown colour.
- Decayed heartwood may sufficiently weaken trees enough to increase ice and wind mortality.
- Only light wood was included in these samples; the chemistry of dark heartwood or disease-stained wood is known to be quite different from light wood.
More definitions of heartwoodDefinition of heartwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary