- 1A device or coating for protection from excessive heat.More example sentences
- Andy Tyler has built a jet-powered shopping cart whose engine ‘glows red hot at temperatures up to 600°C, so he has to sit with his back to a heat shield.’
- A front spoiler, side skirts, radiator grille and sports exhaust with a specially-designed heat shield give the car an elegant look.
- The engine glows red hot at temperatures up to 600°C, so the driver needs a heat shield.
- 1.1An outer covering on a spacecraft, especially on the nose cone and leading edges, to protect it from the heat generated during re-entry into the earth’s atmosphere.More example sentences
- The engineers will be working for the next few months to analyze the performance of the heat shield that protected the spacecraft as it slammed into Mars' atmosphere.
- The service module, and the orbital module are burned in the Earth's atmosphere, whilst the re-entry module uses its heat shield to make a safe return.
- Unlike those two modules, the command module containing the crew is equipped with a heat shield and took a different flight profile, entering the Earth's atmosphere about 25 minutes before landing.
More definitions of heat shieldDefinition of heat shield in:
- The British & World English dictionary