Talk to (someone) in a bullying way: she doesn’t hector us about giving up things (as adjective hectoring) a brusque, hectoring manner
More example sentences
- Indeed, we've come a long way from the ‘responsibility era’ that Junior has been hectoring us about for the last four years.
- But the guy continued hectoring me to watch more episodes so that I might become enlightened and see the error of my ways.
- Fair enough - if listening to him hectoring us about scarce resources and carbon emissions is what it takes to conserve the planet then it's a price worth paying.
- Example sentences
- His message - the persistence and evolving continuity of life - is hardly profound, yet it hectoringly pervades four volumes totalling over two thousand pages.
- But for the most part the tone of the works on show alternates between the hectoringly political and the philosophically profound.
- The treatment is well-judged, pointed but never hectoringly didactic, in a screenplay by the director's brother.
Words that rhyme with hectorbisector, collector, connector, convector, corrector, defector, deflector, detector, director, ejector, elector, erector, injector, inspector, nectar, objector, perfecter, projector, prospector, protector, rector, reflector, rejector, respecter, sector, selector, Spector, spectre (US specter), vector
Definition of hector in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.