Definition of hedonism in English:
1The pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence.
- The whole point of a sports car is hedonism, the selfish pursuit of pleasure.
- He represents bored self-indulgence and hedonism.
- There is a critique of hedonism, or the pursuit of pleasure.
1.1The ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life.
- In the twentieth century, most of those sympathetic to utilitarianism replaced hedonism with the desire-fulfilment theory.
- Although hedonism fails as a theory that gives us a fixed end, it does contain a methodological insight.
- In fact hedonism, the view that pleasure is our ethical end, is always on the defensive in ancient ethics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan