- 1The pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence.More example sentences
- The whole point of a sports car is hedonism, the selfish pursuit of pleasure.
- He represents bored self-indulgence and hedonism.
- There is a critique of hedonism, or the pursuit of pleasure.
- 1.1The ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life.More example sentences
- In the twentieth century, most of those sympathetic to utilitarianism replaced hedonism with the desire-fulfilment theory.
- Although hedonism fails as a theory that gives us a fixed end, it does contain a methodological insight.
- In fact hedonism, the view that pleasure is our ethical end, is always on the defensive in ancient ethics.
mid 19th century: from Greek hēdonē 'pleasure' + -ism.