Definition of hee-haw in English:
1The loud, harsh cry of a donkey or mule.
- She began laughing in an obnoxious way, sounding like a mix between a donkey hee-haw and a pig snort.
- One particular group of males perched behind us had particularly irritating mating calls, responding to the incessant female cries with various forms of donkey-like hee-haws.
- She imitates his nasal hee-haw very loudly and we look on, aghast.
1.1 [as modifier] US informal Relating to or denoting unsophisticated rural humor and attitudes: hee-haw manners
More example sentences
- If you aren't prepared for a big dose of early-60's style hee-haw music, don't buy this album.
- This seemed to strike a funny cord in Jake, because he began laughing in an almost hee-haw kind of cackling.
- This hee-haw fellow resonated with youngsters.
verb[no object] Back to top
early 19th century: imitative.
Definition of hee-haw in:
- British & World English dictionary