Definition of hee-haw in English:
1The loud, harsh cry of a donkey or mule.
- She began laughing in an obnoxious way, sounding like a mix between a donkey hee-haw and a pig snort.
- One particular group of males perched behind us had particularly irritating mating calls, responding to the incessant female cries with various forms of donkey-like hee-haws.
- She imitates his nasal hee-haw very loudly and we look on, aghast.
1.1 [as modifier] US informal Relating to or denoting unsophisticated rural humor and attitudes: hee-haw manners
More example sentences
- If you aren't prepared for a big dose of early-60's style hee-haw music, don't buy this album.
- This seemed to strike a funny cord in Jake, because he began laughing in an almost hee-haw kind of cackling.
- This hee-haw fellow resonated with youngsters.
verb[no object] Back to top
early 19th century: imitative.
Definition of hee-haw in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan