noun (plural same or heiaus)
- An ancient Hawaiian temple or sacred site.More example sentences
- Because it is the youngest in the chain, it holds open many windows to the past, through heiaus or ancient temples, a sacred ‘place of refuge,’ and petroglyphs - messages from the ancients carved into the lava flows.
- The largest were heiau waikaua, or war temples, at which sacrifices occurred.
- The heiau, on the island of Hawaii's windswept northern tip, is one of several important sites that make the Big Island the state's most visible repository of traditional native culture.
More definitions of heiauDefinition of heiau in:
- The British & World English dictionary