- An American plant of the daisy family that bears many red to yellow flowers, each having a prominent central disk.
More example sentences
- Genus Helenium, family Compositae: many species, especially the sneezeweeds
- Heleniumshave a longer and more showy flowering period if rejuvenated from year to year.
- Dead-head daisies and heleniums to lengthen their season.
- Inula helenium, a large plant, related to the sunflower, which grows wild in Europe and has become naturalized in N. America.
modern Latin, from Greek helenion. The term originally denoted the herb elecampane, possibly in commemoration of Helen of Troy (said to have planted elecampane on the island of Pharos); the current designation was adopted by Linnaeus in the 18th century.
More definitions of heleniumDefinition of helenium in:
- The British & World English dictionary