Definition of heliotropism in English:
1The directional growth of a plant in response to sunlight. Compare with phototropism.
- The adaptive significance of solar tracking in snow buttercups is mediated through the impact of flower heliotropism on paternal and maternal floral environments.
- The heliotropism itself is an adaptation for survival, the plant maximizing sunlight.
- All legume plants do this, so be sure to watch your peas and beans for signs of heliotropism.
1.1 Zoology The tendency of an animal to move toward light.
- Example sentences
- Using a similar idea in the moral realm, Augustine says that we naturally seek the good and try to turn towards it, as a heliotropic flower seeks the sun.
- Like a heliotropic plant, she turned towards warmth and light, which unfortunately were the blinding flashes of cameras.
- For fourteen years, off and on, I have spent the spring on the south coast of Cornwall, in the heliotropic village of St Mawes.
Definition of heliotropism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.