Definition of hellbender in English:
An aquatic giant salamander with grayish skin and a flattened head, native to North America.
- Cryptobranchus alleganiensis, family Cryptobranchidae
- The closest relative of the Japanese and Chinese giant salamanders is the hellbender of the eastern US.
- Other common predators include minks, otters, raccoons, turtles, hellbenders, fish, some species of birds, and humans.
- Living relatives include the Asian giant salamander, which can grow as big as a small human adult, and the smaller hellbender of North America.
Definition of hellbender in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.