- The handle of a weapon or tool.More example sentences
- As he attempted to shoot the second time, he struck the pistol out of his hand with the helve of the axe.
- The handle (also known as the haft or helve) of the axe, like the carpenter, has a neck, shoulders, back, heel, foot, and toe, propelling the tool into the physical act of shaping a piece of material.
- After a few seconds the axe flashes into view, helve over blade, and lands with a heavy slap of foam in the stream.
Old English helfe, of Germanic origin; related to halter1.
More definitions of helveDefinition of helve in:
- The British & World English dictionary