nounMedicine & Biology
The clumping together of red blood cells.
- The diagnosis is confirmed by haemagglutination and complement fixation tests.
- Classically, diagnosis of dengue virus infection was carried out by haemagglutination inhibition test.
- Alternatively, the anti-sheep red blood cell hemagglutination test has been employed successfully in many species of wild birds.
- Example sentences
- The unit of toxin measure is the hemagglutinating unit.
- These findings suggest that the hemagglutinating activity may be due to different proteins or that other constituents of these fluids may interfere with this activity.
- All the Edmonston clones showed agglutination of monkey erythrocytes in isotonic solution while both vaccine strains hemagglutinated only in the presence of high salt concentrations.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hemagglutination in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.