Definition of hematoxylin in English:
A colorless compound present in logwood that is easily converted into blue, red, or purple dyes and is used as a biological stain.
- A phenol; chemical formula: C16H14O6
- Inactive DNA is readily stained with hematoxylin, toluidine blue, and other similar basic dyes.
- Tissues are stained in aqueous hematoxylin after mordanting in iron ammonium sulfate (iron alum).
- Eight randomly selected sites from each inflation-fixed right lung were embedded in paraffin, and sections were cut for hematoxylin and eosin staining.
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Haematoxylum (genus name), from haemato-, variant of hemato- 'of blood', + Greek xulon 'wood'.
Definition of hematoxylin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.