(Of an insect) having no pupal stage in the transition from larva to adult.
- The immature nymphs of hemimetabolous insects such as the grasshopper or cockroach for instance are born with adult-like morphology.
- Eye development in hemimetabolous insects such as the grasshopper Schistocerca americana is a repetitive multi-step process which starts in the embryo and extends through postembryogenesis.
- This second gene is only found in holometabolous insects, Drosophila, and silkworms but not in the more primitive hemimetabolous insects, like grasshoppers or springtails.
- Example sentences
- But there is another form - the hemimetabolic, which historically preceded the complete differentiation between caterpillar and butterfly.
- Lice are permanent hemimetabolic ectoparasites, a group found strictly on the body of the host, and they are transferred almost exclusively by bodily contact between hosts during care of young and at copulation.
Definition of hemimetabolous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.