- The primary body cavity of most invertebrates, containing circulatory fluid.More example sentences
- Arthropods also have a hemocoel, an open body cavity in which blood flows and bathes the tissues and organs.
- The circulatory system includes a heart that pumps blood into an open body cavity or hemocoel.
- Other internal organs are suspended in a general hemocoel.
late 19th century: from hemo- 'of blood' + Greek koilos 'hollow, cavity'.
More definitions of hemocoelDefinition of hemocoel in:
- The British & World English dictionary