1A coarse and poisonous Eurasian plant of the nightshade family, with sticky hairy leaves and an unpleasant smell.
- Hyoscyamus niger, family Solanaceae
More example sentences
- All that in a happier field and a purer air would expand into virtue and germinate into usefulness, is thus converted into henbane and deadly nightshade.
- Recipes of love stimulants frequently contained such plants, especially henbane, mandrake, and in later times thorn apple.
- He also identified certain plants with pharmacological action such as mandragora or nightshade, opium and henbane and gave various recipes for inducing both anesthesia and analgesia before surgery.
Definition of henbane in:
- The British & World English dictionary