- 1A coarse and poisonous Eurasian plant of the nightshade family, with sticky hairy leaves and an unpleasant smell.
More example sentences
- Hyoscyamus niger, family Solanaceae
- All that in a happier field and a purer air would expand into virtue and germinate into usefulness, is thus converted into henbane and deadly nightshade.
- Recipes of love stimulants frequently contained such plants, especially henbane, mandrake, and in later times thorn apple.
- He also identified certain plants with pharmacological action such as mandragora or nightshade, opium and henbane and gave various recipes for inducing both anesthesia and analgesia before surgery.
- 1.1A psychoactive drink prepared from the henbane plant.More example sentences
- Dissolve in the drink half a dram each of darnel, fumitory, opium and henbane and half a carat of myrobalan.
- With henbane, you would either wake up three or four days later without a leg, or not at all.
More definitions of henbaneDefinition of henbane in:
- The British & World English dictionary