1The powdered leaves of a tropical shrub, used as a dye to color the hair and decorate the body.
- Unlike black and red henna, which dye your hair, neutral henna just adds body and shine.
- I used to love coloring my hair red with henna, but finally quit doing it.
- Most people in November were wearing leather coats, as you see throughout Europe, and the women, most of whom were brunettes, had dyed their hair with henna.
2The Old World shrub that produces henna, with small pink, red, or white flowers.
- Lawsonia inermis, family Lythraceae.
- Originally, natural dyes from amla, henna, pomegranate, indigo and turmeric were used to dye the silk.
- It uses the coloring properties of henna, a bushlike herb that grows throughout Africa and the Middle East.
- The herbs illam and henna were used by women to soften and beautify their skin.
verb (hennas, hennaing, hennaed /ˈhenəd/)[with object]
Dye (hair) with henna.
- She had her hennaed hair in a bun, running around, looking young and beautiful.
- It is not uncommon for brides and their friends to take over a bathhouse the night before the big day and go through the rituals of washing, depilation and even hennaing the hair.
- Her hair is hennaed to cover the grey and her figure was long ago permanently shrouded in a shapeless dress.
Early 17th century: from Arabic ḥinnā'.
Words that rhyme with hennaantenna, Avicenna, duenna, Jenna, Jenner, Morwenna, Ravenna, senna, Siena, sienna, tenner, tenor, Vienna
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.