- The book promptly answered his question: A heptagon has seven sides.
- Construct a heptagon, given the seven points that are the midpoints of its sides.
- In this case, all of the points lying along a line through this circle's center and perpendicular to the plane of the heptagon are equidistant from the polygon's vertices.
- Example sentences
- He took note through the clear glass walls of the heptagonal room that the employees were still working, even at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning.
- They suggest that the magnetic behavior is due to the complex microstructure of the foam in which they observe heptagonal structures having an unpaired electron.
- In the Korean myth, the hero's legitimate son is recognized when he is able to find half of his father's sword at the base of a pine tree growing out of a heptagonal stone.
Late 16th century: from Greek heptagonon, neuter (used as a noun) of heptagonos 'seven-angled'.
seven from Old English:
Seven days of the week, seven deadly sins, seven dwarfs, seven wonders of the world, the Magnificent Seven…the number seven crops up again and again in history and culture. The word is from the same ancient root as Latin septem and Greek hepta ‘seven’—septem is the source of September (Old English), originally the seventh month of the Roman year, and of septet (early 19th century), whereas hepta is found in words such as heptagon (late 16th century) ‘seven angled’, and heptathlon [1970s] combined with athlon ‘contest’. The seven-year itch was originally a semi-proverbial medical condition, dating from the middle of the 19th century, but these days is a supposed tendency to infidelity after seven years of marriage. The phrase originated in the USA, and The Seven Year Itch, a 1955 comedy written and directed by Billy Wilder and starring Marilyn Monroe, introduced it to a wider audience.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of heptagon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.