noun (plural heptarchies)
- 1.1Government by seven rulers.More example sentences
- But if I know the circumstances or the people, I am of the opinion that this heptarchy cannot stand long.
- More example sentences
- Sometimes the scats were stamped with the svastica, or with runes - a peculiarity that does not appear upon any coins issued by the southern kings of the heptarchical period.
- Seven is the number of the heptarchical Kings and Princes, while twelve is the number of the angels of the tribes of Israel.
late 16th century: from hepta- 'seven' + Greek arkhia 'rule', on the pattern of tetrarchy.
More definitions of heptarchyDefinition of heptarchy in:
- The British & World English dictionary