- 1Any plant with leaves, seeds, or flowers used for flavoring, food, medicine, or perfume: bundles of dried herbs [as modifier]: a formal herb gardenMore example sentences
- I also find the green leaves of ivy, herbs and other plants are beautiful as well.
- You can take time to select chocolate or apple mint, lemon basil, and pungent garlic from an herb garden.
- This article explains how to start an indoor herb garden from plants or seed and how to properly care for it.
- 2 Botany Any seed-bearing plant that does not have a woody stem and dies down to the ground after flowering.More example sentences
- A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.
- Many vascular epiphytes share the understorey environment with terrestrial herbs, shrubs and tree seedlings.
- There will also be plants grown especially for the vegetable plot as well as herbs, herbaceous perennials and shrubs.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin herba 'grass, green crops, herb'. Although herb has always been spelled with an h, pronunciation without it was usual in British English until the 19th century and is still standard in the US.
More definitions of herbDefinition of herb in:
- The British & World English dictionary