Definition of herb Paris in English:
A European woodland plant of the lily family, with a single unbranched stem bearing a green and purple flower above four leaves.
- Paris quadrifolia, family Liliaceae (or Trilliaceae)
- Now the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, Scotland's leading plant conservation centre, wants gardeners to plant colourful species such as the Scottish primrose, yellow rattle and herb Paris to save them for future generations.
- The ground flora is very rich with herb Paris, wild garlic, sweet woodruff, stone bramble and bird's nest orchid present.
- This is why it is possible to find typical woodland species such as honeysuckle, dog's mercury, herb Paris and angular Solomon's seal in upland areas which are otherwise surrounded by tracts of grassland and moorland.
Translating medieval Latin herba paris, probably literally 'herb of a pair', referring to the resemblance of the four leaves to a true-love knot.
Definition of herb Paris in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan