Definition of herbivore in English:
An animal that feeds on plants.
- This includes both carnivores such as wolves, which eat other animals, and herbivores such as cows, which eat plants.
- The previously discussed benefits of large size to a mammalian herbivore probably also accrued to large herbivorous dinosaurs.
- Feeding on them are microscopic and macroscopic herbivores, with carnivores preying on them.
- Example sentences
- As with mammals, herbivorous dinosaurs of different body size probably selected different diets.
- The dugong is the only living herbivorous mammal that spends its entire life in the sea.
- Many of the extinct marsupial megafauna were large, herbivorous browsers, some weighing several tons.
Definition of herbivore in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan