Definition of heretic in English:
1A person believing in or practicing religious heresy.
- It clearly would cover any incitement of hatred by the religious against its heretics, apostates, or members of other faiths.
- He was also an ardent heretic and freethinker, maybe an out-and-out atheist, and a vocal defender of the ideas of Charles Darwin.
- The heretics Marcion and Valentinus believed that God was androgynous.
1.1A person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted.
- It is odd - odd in the extreme - that Barns, the iconoclast, the heretic, uncritically accepts the myths surrounding the birth of the Liberal Party propagated by the elders of the tribe.
- They were not, according to an older version of history that Johnson appears to accept, merely heretics reacting against an established orthodoxy.
- It enjoys demonising the elected representatives of the labour movement and treats its left critics as heretics to be cast aside and scorned.
Words that rhyme with hereticpolyptych • hemistich
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.