Definition of hermit in English:
1A person living in solitude as a religious discipline.
- Secular idleness would have little meaning in solitude, and the religious contemplation of the hermit or monk is not in question here.
- Valaam, on a beautiful island in Lake Ladoga near the Finnish border, is once again home to both monks and hermits.
- As a form of asceticism, celibacy's heroic demands are more at home with a hermit in the desert or a monk in a monastery than with a priest ministering in today's highly charged sexual atmosphere.
1.1Any person living in solitude or seeking to do so.
- Sam Beam may boast a mountain man's beard and home-taping origins, but his steady output as Iron & Wine over the last two years has proved he's no hermit.
- Being stuck in a studio in front of the computer all day probably has something do with this - you become an introspective, insular hermit.
- You have got to be a little bit of hermit this season.
2A hummingbird found in the shady lower layers of tropical forests, foraging along a regular route.
- Phaethornis and other genera, family Trochilidae: several species
- A local guide took us out the first morning for a half-day of birding, including a visit to a lek of performing green hermit hummingbirds, and then got us on our way to the Canopy Tower, a short distance north of the city.
- Asymmetries in the character transition curves describing these zones suggest that Townsend's warblers have a selective advantage over hybrids and hermits.
- The pattern of introgression found by Rohwer and Wood predicts that Townsend's males will be superior to hermits in these behavioral measures.
- Example sentences
- Anti Vampire Club membership ranges from pirates to hermitic recluses to your common garden-variety psychopath.
- His life is saturated by tragedy, culminating in a hermitic existence spent waiting for the death that will free him from the tortured longing for Herman.
- Now I'm going to turn into a hermitic poet, I thought to myself, depressed, and spend all the rest of my days thinking up similes and metaphors and whatever else it is they teach us in English class.
Words that rhyme with hermitKermit, permit
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan