Definition of herring in English:
A silvery fish that is most abundant in coastal waters and is of great commercial importance as a food fish in many parts of the world.
- Clupea and other genera, family Clupeidae (the herring family): several species, in particular (C. harengus), of the North Atlantic. The herring family also includes the sprats, shads, and pilchards
- Like anchovies and herrings, they are small, primitive fish belonging to the group known as clupeoids.
- These fatty acids are found in oily fish such as herring, mackerel, sardines, salmon and trout.
- The two largest and most important of the herrings were probably blueback herring (A. aestivalis) and hickory shad (A. mediocris).
Words that rhyme with herringhandspring • hamstring
Definition of herring in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan