Definition of herring in English:
A silvery fish that is most abundant in coastal waters and is of great commercial importance as a food fish in many parts of the world.
- Clupea and other genera, family Clupeidae (the herring family): several species, in particular (C. harengus), of the North Atlantic. The herring family also includes the sprats, shads, and pilchards
- Like anchovies and herrings, they are small, primitive fish belonging to the group known as clupeoids.
- These fatty acids are found in oily fish such as herring, mackerel, sardines, salmon and trout.
- The two largest and most important of the herrings were probably blueback herring (A. aestivalis) and hickory shad (A. mediocris).
Old English hǣring, hēring; related to Dutch haring and German Hering.
Definition of herring in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.