Definition of heterogamy in English:
2.1 another term for anisogamy.
3Marriage between people from different sociological or educational backgrounds. Compare with homogamy (sense 1).
- An examination of the relative social positions of spouses shows that heterogamy, the marriage of people from different social backgrounds, was not characteristic after World War II either.
- However, it definitely does not support the hypothesis of decreasing barriers to inter-class heterogamy over time.
- The three barriers to heterogamy are described by inheritance, sectoral, and hierarchy parameters.
- Example sentences
- The most heterogamous were the sons of skilled workers and unskilled workers.
- Based on the presence or absence of fertile stamens and fertile pistils, the heads can be further classified into heterogamous and homogamous capitula.
- The practical upshot in your case is that your children will be much more likely to be heterogamous themselves.
Words that rhyme with heterogamyendogamy, exogamy, homogamy, misogamy, monogamy
Definition of heterogamy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan