Definition of heteromorphic in English:
Occurring in two or more different forms, especially at different stages in the life cycle.
- Silene latifolia is a dioecious plant with heteromorphic sex chromosomes.
- However, to understand the current structure of sex determination in Drosophila, it is necessary to consider its evolution from an ancestral state, prior to the evolution of heteromorphic sex chromosomes and dosage compensation.
- In organisms in which gender is based on one sex being homomorphic and the other heteromorphic for the sex chromosomes, a process has evolved to equalize the output of products encoded by the genes located there.
- Example sentences
- Size dimorphism, in which the heteromorphs are slightly larger than the tecnomorphs, can be recognized in late instars.
- Ancyloceratina, which contains all other Mesozoic heteromorphs, evolved from Perisphictidae during the Tithonian.
- Most heteromorphs form a U-shaped chamber, whereas many normally coiled ammonites inflate or enlarge the terminal body chamber and constrict the aperture.
- Example sentences
- There is abundant evidence for the repeated evolution of sex chromosomes and sex chromosome heteromorphy, followed by phenomena such as dosage compensation and imprinting.
- Based on this extensive background information, the identification of molecular genetic markers for the Primula S-locus was undertaken as the first step towards characterization of the genes that control heteromorphy in this plant.
- Variations in chromosome patterns during in vitro maintenance were rapid and discrete, involving loss of heteromorphy or appearance of additional chromosome size variants.
Definition of heteromorphic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia