noun (plural hexahedrons or hexahedra /-drə/)
A solid figure with six plane faces.
- It is commonly called a cube but is formally known as a hexahedron.
- The regular hexahedron is part of the family of 5 platonic solids, which are the most regular polyhedra.
- To build an origami hexahedron you will need three of these shapes with three different colors.
- Example sentences
- The aim of this project is to develop an algorithm for the generation of hexahedral element meshes.
- The capsule is roughly hexahedral and comprises six edge-sharing triangles with two metal ions on each edge.
- The eight-node hexahedral elements are therefore superior to tetrahedral elements for finite element analysis.
Late 16th century: from Greek hexaedron, neuter (used as a noun) of hexaedros 'six-faced'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hexahedron in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.