A colorless liquid hydrocarbon of the alkane series.
- Chemical formula: C6H14; five isomers, especially the straight-chain isomer (n-hexane)
More example sentences
- Solvents permitted in the UK for extraction include acetone, hexane, ethyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, and carbon dioxide.
- Some manufacturers use toxic chemicals like hexane or acetone and are not required by the Food and Drug Administration to list them on the label if they account for less than 2 percent of ingredients.
- The hexane was evaporated under a gentle stream of nitrogen gas before adding 0.1 ml of ethyl ether and 0.1 ml 0.1 M of KOH in methanol and heating the samples for 5 min at 50°.
Definition of hexane in:
- The British & World English dictionary