Definition of hi-fi in English:
Of, used for, or relating to the reproduction of music or other sound with high fidelity.
- In the course of the night there will be a draw for a number of very attractive prizes including a colour TV, microwave and hi-fi music centre.
- The pocket-sized WiFi base station is designed to stream music through a home hi-fi amplifier.
- The lounge was empty, apart from Ailsa sitting in the corner wearing a pair of headphones and listening to music on the hi-fi system.
noun (plural hi-fis)Back to top
A set of equipment for high-fidelity sound reproduction, especially a radio or phonograph.
- In contrast, the price of equipment like TVs, hi-fis, radios and personal stereos has fallen - and now cost barely a quarter of what you paid for them 15 years ago.
- They have seized thousands of pounds worth of property including televisions, videos, hi-fis, jewellery and mobile phones.
- For example, children and teenagers tend to make their own living space in their bedrooms with personal entertainment in the form of computers, TVs, DVDs and hi-fis.
1950s: abbreviation of high fidelity.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan