A plant of the mallow family, grown in warm climates for its large brightly colored flowers or for products such as fiber or timber.
- Genus Hibiscus, family Malvaceae: many species, including the rose mallow
More example sentences
- There is no reason why hostas can't be grown in containers just as successfully as an exotic hibiscus.
- Between the ruins grew cypresses and oleanders, hibiscus, myrtle and wild roses.
- My hibiscus looks healthy, but the buds drop before they open.
Latin, from Greek hibiskos, which Dioscorides identified with the marsh mallow.
Definition of hibiscus in:
- The British & World English dictionary