Definition of hidden reserves in English:
1A company’s funds that are not declared on its balance sheet.
- The bank intends to remedy that with profitability increases through cost reductions and the liquidation of hidden reserves by selling off industrial holdings valued at 65 billion marks.
- Councils which are imposing tax rises of up to 7% this spring have built up hidden reserves of £1.4bn in their bank accounts, which could be used to cut bills, Scotland on Sunday can reveal.
- The provinces argue Ottawa is has plenty of hidden reserves, including underestimated revenues totalling $73 billion over 10 years.
1.1Mental or physical capabilities beyond those normally available to someone: hidden reserves of power
More example sentences
- Tapping hidden reserves of strength, i managed to pick the woman off the floor and put her back in the… err… safe… er… hands of her partner.
- The exercise, which was held at the end of May, is designed to test, stress and call upon the hidden reserves of the trainees over five days - and the staff of the college ensure the trainees are indeed stressed and tested.
- Art offers one of the principal means by which a people becomes aware of itself, its failings, its illusions, its collective dilemma, its hidden reserves of strength.
Definition of hidden reserves in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan