- A stylized picture of an object representing a word, syllable, or sound, as found in ancient Egyptian and other writing systems.More example sentences
- In much of the Egyptian hieroglyphs, the Pharaoh was often depicted as almost larger than life, with great power and much of Egyptian art is a celebration of his accomplishments.
- The ancient Egyptians either engraved the hieroglyphs in the stonework of their temples or painted them on the walls of the burial chamber or inscribed them with a reed pen on rolls of papyrus, the antecedent of our paper.
- It seems that Egyptians continued to use hieroglyphs from around 3000 b.c. until the time of the Roman Empire.
late 16th century: back-formation from hieroglyphic.
More definitions of hieroglyphDefinition of hieroglyph in:
- The British & World English dictionary