nounNorth American • informal
- A surreptitious gesture, often prearranged, giving warning or indicating that all is well: I’m getting the high sign from my secretary—gotta goMore example sentences
- If I give the woman at the sandwich bar the high sign from afar she starts making my reuben before I've reached the counter.
- The fat couple seemed to have already split, and Ethan was on his way out the door, giving Alvin a high sign to show he'd got the joke.
- They would come to my house on their weekly visits to the city, give me the high sign, and I would slip them their copies of the Chicago Defender or the Indianapolis Freeman.
More definitions of high signDefinition of high sign in:
- The British & World English dictionary