Definition of highway in English:
nounchiefly North American
1A main road, especially one connecting major towns or cities: a six-lane highway figurative the highway to success
More example sentences
- Most of the main roads and highways in the city are high enough to have escaped the flooding.
- No civilians were allowed on the newly closed main highways outside of town.
- It can be reached by highways from the major cities in Guangdong, Guangxi, and Hunan.
1.1 another term for expressway.
1.2(Chiefly in official use) a public road.
- But campaigners were dealt a bitter blow when county highways officials confirmed that Government funding would not be available for the bypass.
- Councillors from Horwich and Blackrod met with highways officials yesterday in an attempt to find a solution to traffic problems in Crown Lane, Horwich.
- But highways officials now say the 14th century bridge will be ready to reopen in less than six weeks.
1.3 Computing A pathway connecting parts of one computer system or between different systems.
- Information technologies are the highways along which ideas travel.
- And it could start being installed this year, using the world's highways as the base network.
- And part of the enjoyment is finding others on the cyber highway system and reading what they have to say too.
Words that rhyme with highwaybyway, skyway
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.