(Especially of a bodily part) situated at the back; posterior: he snagged a calf by the hind leg
More example sentences
- This was associated with infection by a flatworm or fluke infection called Ribeiroia, which formed cysts near the hind legs.
- The same held true when they injected the drug into multiple ganglia that connect to the tail and hind legs.
- Herodotus rejoins that camels have four thighbones in their hind legs, and that their genitals face backwards.
Middle English: perhaps shortened from Old English behindan (see behind).
on one's hind legs
- see leg.
Words that rhyme with hindaffined, behind, bind, blind, find, humankind, interwind, kind, mankind, mind, nonaligned, resigned, rind, unaligned, unassigned, unconfined, undefined, undersigned, undesigned, unlined, unrefined, unsigned, wynd
1A female deer, especially a red deer or sika in and after its third year.
- In red deer, dominant hinds produce a male-biased offspring sex ratio, but only at low population density.
- In Europe, the red-deer hinds are often culled, but managers often do the shooting.
- For example, dominant red deer hinds produce more surviving offspring over their lives than do subordinates.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan