Definition of hinoki in English:
(also hinoki cypress) A tall slow-growing tree native to Japan that has bright green leaves and yields a valuable timber.
- Chamaecyparis obtusa, family Cupressaceae
- Three variegated hinoki false cypress trees flank the stipa, and a coral bark maple grows at the back of the bed.
- Daiho-ji is in the mountains, surrounded by cedars and hinoki cypresses over 300 years old.
- Traditionally, the Ise Shrine was dismantled and rebuilt every 20 years using hinoki cypress lumber from Kiso.
early 18th century: from Japanese.
Definition of hinoki in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan